Contact a lawyer right after car accident in Colorado
Car accidents are unfortunate, but happen all the time. If you had the misfortune of being involved in such an accident and suffered injuries, you can either file an insurance claim with the insurer of the party at fault, or can file a personal injury lawsuit. For both, it is wise to hire a skilled Colorado Springs car accident lawyer. Here are some important things worth knowing.
Personal injury laws in Colorado for car accidents
- There is a statute of limitations in Colorado, just like in other states, for filing personal injury lawsuits. You have a time of three years to file a personal injury lawsuit against the other party, while for property damage cases, the deadline is two years. However, most of the evidence and information that will be available right after the case wouldn’t be accessible afterwards, so you need a lawyer, who can gather all details.
- Colorado follows what is called the ‘comparative fault’ rule. This means that if you had part role in the car accident, you may not get the same compensation as you would have got otherwise. To understand what your claim is worth, consider talking to an experienced car accident lawyer, who can guide on the claims process.
How to choose the right lawyer?
Not all personal injury lawyers are same, and it makes sense to review a few details. Try to get answers for questions like –
- How long has the lawyer been handling car accident claims?
- Will the law firm share a few references?
- What percentage of their car accident cases go to trial?
- Will the concerned lawyer handle the case personally?
- What is the fee of the lawyer?
The first consultation is always free
As a client, you have every right to know your lawyer. Like many victims, you are probably concerned about the cost of hiring a car accident lawyer. The good news is most lawyers work on a contingency basis, where they charge a part of the compensation as their fee. In simple English, if they cannot win a settlement for you, they don’t get paid. That said, there are other expenses in car accident cases, such as court fees, which must be considered. Nevertheless, it is always wise to consider meeting a lawyer first to discuss your car accident claim, and for that, you don’t have to pay a penny.
Review top attorneys in Colorado right away to find one.