Injured at work in Jersey City? Here’s what you must know!
Following an unexpected workplace accident, it is okay to feel overwhelmed. If you suffered serious injuries, you can seek workers’ compensation benefits. The workers’ compensation system is meant to be simple and easy to understand, but in practice, things can be complicated. After the injury, you may be out of work or need long-term medical care, which will add to your financial distress. Getting the benefits that you are entitled to is important, for which contacting a Jersey City workers compensation lawyer is important.
What to do right after the workplace accident?
First things first, inform your employer right away. You can choose to report to the supervisor or manager you work for, and this doesn’t have to be in writing, although that’s what most lawyers would recommend. If you need medical attention, let your employer know immediately. Once your employer has been notified, you need to file a claim with the insurance company. In case you have been diagnosed with an occupational disease, make sure that you inform the employer immediately after the diagnosis.
Should you hire an attorney?
Hiring a workers’ compensation lawyer is entirely your personal call. However, most attorneys will be happy to offer a free consultation session, where you can share all the details. Your lawyer may ask questions like –
- How and when did the accident happen?
- Have you suffered serious injuries?
- Did you receive adequate medical attention immediately after treatment?
- Did you have health conditions diagnosed before that may have aggravated your suffering?
- Do you know the witnesses of the accident?
- Was there a third-party involved?
In return, you can ask a few questions to know your workers’ compensation lawyer better. Ask questions such as –
- How long have you been working as a workers’ compensation lawyer?
- What percentage of your practice is dedicated to such cases?
- What benefits am I eligible for?
- How will you charge for your work?
- What are the possible circumstances and outcomes?
Some attorneys work on a flat fee, while others may charge an hourly rate. When it comes to workers’ compensation claims, attorneys may work on a contingency basis, but again that depends on facts of the case. A good lawyer knows what it takes to give a realistic overview of the case, and they will help with the claim, so that you get your due benefits. In case your claim is rejected, they can help with appeals too.